Thursday, June 20, 2019

Why does the contraction of "I will" sound strange in certain sentence constructions?

Recently, while chatting with a friend via text, my friend asked me, "Can you ask them tomorrow?"



I responded with:




I will when I go.





It occurred to me when writing this response that it would be really weird sounding to say:




I'll when I go.




However, it would have been normal sounding if I had said:




I'll ask when I go.





Is there any formal reason why the version without "ask" following "I'll" is incorrect? Or maybe it is correct, but merely awkward?



I suppose there may not be any explanation deeper than, "it just sounds weird," but any informative insights into why, ideally with examples of similar cases, would stand as an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment