Friday, June 21, 2019

Dealing with tricky subordinate time clauses in sequence of tenses

Your help would be very much appreciated with the following sentence:




"When I first visited Berkeley in spring 2015, I knew immediately that when I attempt an MBA, the school is going to be at the top of my list".



The main clause here being in Past Simple (I knew), it would be logical to expect the subordinate clause to be in the past as well "the school was going to be". If we eliminate extra time clauses, everything looks good: "[...] I knew immediately [...] the school was going to be at the top of my list".



However, I am confused by the "when I attempt an MBA part".



The latter obviously indicates the action in the future expressed through present tense - quite a widespread usage, I'd say (as in "When I start driving, my dad will by me a car"). In our case, however, if this part of the sentence ("when I attempt an MBA") stays in present tense, in my opinion, it does not go well together with the rest of the subordinate clause being in the past, i.e. "...that when I attempt an MBA, the school was going to be". Sounds off.



Should I use future, instead, for the "when I attempt" part, and change it to conform with the sequence of tenses? This would make for something like "I knew that when I would attempt an MBA..." This tense, in turn, seems to go better with the rest of the subordinate clause being in the past, as SoT requires.




Many thanks in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment