Thursday, January 31, 2019

verbs - When is the present perfect tense used instead of the past tense?



When is the present perfect tense used instead of the past tense?



I know that the present perfect tense is used when some adverbs (e.g., never, ever) are present in the sentence; the same is true for sentences like the following one.





When you returned, I have been at home since 3:00 PM.




In which other cases should I use the present perfect? Do the following sentences require it?




I have walked downtown everyday for a year.








I have been at home since 3:00 PM.



Answer



The present perfect is used for unfinished or undefined time. I don't think your example is correct, since for a year is understood to be a finished time. A time period of one year. It would have been correct if you wrote:



I have walked downtown every day this year.



In that case you'd have unfinished time. The time period would be up to and including now. If you used a defined and finished time in the past like last august, then you'd have to use the simple past.




I walked downtown every day last August.



Since last August is finished time, you have to use the simple past.


No comments:

Post a Comment