Friday, January 25, 2019

meaning - "Me being" versus "my being"







Until a few months ago, I had always thought that sentences like this were correct:





They always hated me being an atheist.




Only later to find out that the correct form is:




They always hated my being an atheist.





I came to understand the reason behind this and started using the proper form, but as I've seen the latest futurama episode, I found out the problem is far from over. The main cast character, Fry, said the following:




Never bet against me being stupid.




And now I'm totally lost. I've tried googling for an answer and all I found (by @Cerberus here or by others here, here, here and here) seems to disprove the fact of "me being" being correct.



So I ask: did the creators of futurama make such a horrible mistake, or does this problem go deeper than meets the eye?

No comments:

Post a Comment