Friday, January 4, 2019

grammar - One sentence with two meanings! "The door was locked"

I'm learning English.
I think the sentence "The door was locked" has two meanings!. I'm very confused.




First of all, let's look at this example:



I broke the glass (Active)
The glass was broken (Passive)



========



Now, this:
(Change Active Voice to Passive Voice using above method):



A)
I locked the door (Active)
The door was locked (Passive)




Now, The past simple of the sentence "The door is locked" is "The door was locked" Again!



B)
The door is locked (Simple Present)
The door was locked (Past Simple)



========



Can you understand what I mean?
I think the sentence "The door was locked" has two meanings. Am I right?
Maybe I'm wrong. Why the English language is very confusing?

No comments:

Post a Comment