Wednesday, June 14, 2017

ambiguity - Ambiguous pronouns

I have a statement like




The performance of the proposed scheme, and its dependence on …




Here, ‘it’ can refer to either the performance of the scheme, or the scheme itself. I changed the statement to





The performance of the proposed scheme, and the dependence of the performance on …




– which doesn’t seem very professional due to redundancy.



It is possible to change the statement in such a manner that it is unambiguous as well as sounds professional (for an academic document)?



For the sake of completeness, the full sentence is





The performance of the proposed scheme, and its dependence on various parameters, including X and Y, is reported.




EDIT:



I was able to use the ideas from some answers here to come up with a sentence that I'm pretty satisfied with:




The proposed scheme's performance and its dependence on various parameters, including X and Y, is reported.





However, now I don't know which answer to accept, since this solution came to me after reading multiple solutions here! Please help?

No comments:

Post a Comment