Thursday, December 15, 2016

Using determiners with articles

I was studying articles when I came across the following statement:




There are other special modifiers called determiners or markers that may appear in front of a noun phrase. Do not use an article if you also intend to use any of the following markers directly before the noun: this, that, these, those, my, his, her, your, our, their, its, any, either, each, every, many, few, several, some, all. (http://www.writing.utoronto.ca/advice/english-as-a-second-language/articles)




However, I'm not sure about "all" because I came across phrases that included articles between "all" and the nouns. For example - "all the countries", "all the way", etc...



I would appreciate if anyone can clarify what the blockquote means and explain if there are exceptions.




Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment