Saturday, December 3, 2016

negation - Answering negative questions with "Yeah."

I know I need to answer in the same way regardless of questions are positive or negative in English.



For example, when I didn't go to work yesterday,



Q. Didn't you go to work yesterday? (Did you go to work yesterday?)

A. No I didn't.



I am still taking time when answering negative questions in the real life, because in the language I was using before, it was deferent way. If I say yes to negative questions, it means I agree asker's negative questions. Anyway, I have been adapting to the English way to answer.



But what confuses me is that I meet those kind of native speakers who answer "Yeah." to the negative questions.



For example,



Q. You don't want to go?
A. Yeah. (When he/she doesn't want to go.)




There have been many of native English speaker answering like this. So I am wondering if there is a difference between 'yes' and 'yeah'.

No comments:

Post a Comment