Monday, December 26, 2016

meaning - "A English nerd" versus "an English nerd"












On some forum today I referred to myself as a English nerd. Now I'm wondering whether maybe I'm an English nerd.



My gut feeling tells me that there is a slight nuance in meaning between the two phrases and that even though the general rule is to use an in front of a word starting with a vowel, I think a is more appropriate in this case.



The a in a English nerd refers to the word nerd and the adjective is only added to denote the type of nerd that I am.



Whereas using the phrasing an English nerd would imply that I am a nerd who happens to be English (I'm not).



Now, my question is: Did I analyze this correctly and is there in fact a nuance in meaning? Or should I have used an English nerd to comply with the general "a versus an" rule?


Answer




There is no different nuance in meaning as you describe in any dialect of English I am aware of.



The a/an pattern is a purely phonological pattern; using one or the other has no impact on meaning. The use is simply governed by the sound of the following word. So, we say:





  • A boy ("boy" starts with consonant sound)

  • An old boy ("old" starts with vowel sound)

  • An hour ("hour" starts with a vowel sound)

  • A used automobile ("used" starts with a consonant sound)


  • An extremely tired man ("extremely" starts with a vowel sound)




Whatever sound comes directly after the indefinite article determines whether it takes the a form or the an form. It doesn't matter if this is a noun, adjective, adverb, or anything else.



Now, there are some dialects that do things differently, but that difference amounts to allowing a more often (usually with free variation). Again, semantics does not come into the picture.



If there is any true nuance in meaning for you, then it is something that (as far as I know) is attested only in your idiolect.


No comments:

Post a Comment