Thursday, December 29, 2016

grammaticality - Is this grammatically correct? "Martin heard footsteps rushing towards his office."



Is this sentence correct?




"Martin heard footsteps rushing towards his office."



I think something's missing between footsteps and rushing.
By adding were, I believe the sentence becomes grammatically perfect, but while writing novel where authors loves to break rules in order to maintain fluency, the sentence breaks the fluency of the paragraph.
So I wanna keep this sentence as this is in my novel if it's really grammatically correct.


Answer



The use of rushing doesn't seem right to me, because rushing is not something you can hear.



I would use a description that can be heard, which itself implies rushing.





Martin heard footsteps pounding towards his office.



No comments:

Post a Comment