Saturday, August 13, 2016

writing style - Using Past Perfect after an event

While reading a book, I came across some sentences that used past-perfect "after" an event had taken place. Actually, I've seen many books do this, so this must be the grammatically correct way, but I'm curious why.




It was after Dad died and we had moved to New York.





Why shouldn't it be the other way around, as in "It was after Dad had died and we moved to New York"?




Not long after that, she had made the decision to sell the house.




I'm really confused why it isn't "Not long after that, she made the decision to sell the house"? It feels like the decision making took after "that."




He stayed out until the sun had set.





Well, I guessing that this one means that he went home after the sun had set, but I'm still not sure why the writer would write this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment