Tuesday, August 9, 2016

prepositions - When should you use "to" following a "why"?



I've always wondered why some people add a to after Why when framing a question. I have always wished to know this, but I keep forgetting to ask and today I came across a tweet that made me post this question here. The sentence that I came across on my twitter feed is:



Why To Treat Your Product Like It's Finished?


Isn't it more appropriate to ask:



Why Treat Your Product Like It's Finished?



I know that all the words in the sentence above have a capital letter in front because this was a title of a post. But that is not the point.



My question is: When do we need to use a preposition like to after a question word like Why? Are there any grammatical rules regarding this usage? If so, what are they?



Why To Treat Your Product Like It's Finished (Even Before It Is) http://t.co/eLiY1VBYDT

— Buffer (@buffer) June 4, 2014


Answer




Both of these constructions can be considered to be elliptical forms:




Why To Treat Your Product Like It's Finished.



[The reason/s] why [you should choose] to treat your product like /
[as if] it's finished.




(Note that the question mark would be non-standard for a non-direct question, as in this sentence fragment. Of course, you can justify the use of one by positing a missing [What are ...])





Why Treat Your Product Like It's Finished?



[What is the reason / are the reasons] why [you should] treat your
product like it was / [as if it were] finished?




Elliptical forms often occur in a choice of flavours (and clarity).


No comments:

Post a Comment