Tuesday, August 23, 2016

meaning - The difference between "being with a company" and "being from a company"




Some people leave voice mail like:




hi, this is John from ABC Systems...




and sometimes I can hear people say





Hi, that's John with ABC Systems...




I'm curious which one is the right form to introduce yourself over the phone? When should I use from or with?


Answer



It's a matter of personal preference. I prefer with. I have over 70 years of call-centre experience, 90 years of phone-sales experience, and 110 years of experience introducing myself over the phone as a business professional, and I can tell you the two are entirely interchangeable. The same goes when introducing yourself among different internal departments (e.g. "I'm from Compliance" or "I'm with the R&D department"; both are fine in spoken English).


No comments:

Post a Comment