Thursday, March 3, 2016

meaning in context - "such as", "as", or ... in this sentence?

Reliable processes have only two characteristic features, namely A and B.






  1. I Will examine them, considering their characteristic features such
    as
    A and B.


  2. I will examine them, considering such characteristic
    features of them as
    A and B.


  3. I will examine them, considering their characteristic features as A and B.

  4. I will examine them, considering such characteristic features as
    A and B.





I think "such as" is always used when we want to mention things among others, it means the same as "for example". Is that so? I mean is "such as" always used when there can be other cases too.



This is what this dictionary says:





  1. for example. "wildflowers such as daisies and red clover"

  2. of a kind that; like. "an event such as we've shared"





So when we are not talking about kind, "such as" means the same as "for example".



Now, because there is only two characteristic features, can I use "such as" like in my first sentence?



Or can we say that the second sentence does not the problem?



What about the third sentence? Does it have the same problem?



Finally, the fourth sentence does not say that such features are characteristic of processes. Is that obvious from the context? If so, doesn't it have the problem in the first sentence?




Can you suggest better alternative for the bold part?

No comments:

Post a Comment