Friday, March 4, 2016

grammar - Use of "not only... but also"

I am an English teacher in Korea. Please help me to teach correct English to my students.




I found the following sentence in the book "Why We Shop: Emotional Rewards and Retail Strategies" written by Jim Pooler. I don't think it is grammatically or logically correct.




At the office, it is important not only to look good and fit in; it's
also unusual for men and women to outdress their coworkers.




I think it is violating parallelism, not only A but also and it should be rephrased to the following:





In the office, it is not only important to look good and fit in, but
also
unusual for men and women to outdress their co-workers.




Is the use of not only... but also correct in the second sentence compared with the first sentence?

No comments:

Post a Comment