Friday, November 13, 2015

terminology - The use of conjunction "and" to avoid repetition



I apologize if my question seems trivial for people who study literature and English language in depth.



My question is basically related to the following statements:





  1. The existence of X

  2. The convergence of X to Y



Here, X and Y are nouns. So I would like to ask the following questions:




  1. Assuming I combine statement 1 and statement 2, when I write "The existence of X and the convergence of X to Y" seems to be redundant. So, is this grammatically correct?


  2. Now, if I reduce repeated words to obtain "The existence and the convergence of X to Y", does it automatically mean X satisfies both statement 1 and statement 2 in general English language?



I apologize if my question is out of context or the way I phrase my question to be strange since I come from mathematical background and English is not my native language.



Thank you very much! Any comment is much appreciated!


Answer



The short answer is only if the existence of Y is also established. When you link two nouns with a conjunction like this, they both apply to what follows.


No comments:

Post a Comment