Thursday, May 2, 2013

word order - "tried so far" vs. "so far tried"



These two sound quite different, and the second form even sounds more sophisticated, but is there any real difference?


Answer





I have tried three strategies so far.



I have so far tried three strategies.




The two are equivalent.



Think of "so far" as acting as an adverb. Substitute now and you can say:





I have tried three strategies now.



I have now tried three strategies.




Same difference.



But if you are following it with a list, I would suggest you use the latter construction.





I have now tried three strategies: studying my rivals, cultivating new friends, and bribing public officials.




That way you put the noun that represents the list in apposition to the list itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment