Sunday, May 12, 2013

grammar - non-essential/non-restrictive prepositional phrases

1:





  • a: I entered the house, through the window, and saw a few dancing cats.

  • b: I entered the house through the window and saw a few dancing cats.

  • c: I entered the house through the window, and saw a few dancing cats.



Which is one is the most correct? Which one would you most likely see in a book teaching about grammar.



2:





  • a: Which one would be considered the most correct, by rigorous standards?

  • b: Which one would, by rigorous standards, be considered the most correct?

  • c: Which one would be considered, by rigorous standards, the most correct?

  • d: Which one would by rigorous standards be considered the most correct?

  • e: Which one would be considered the most correct by rigorous standards?



Which one of those would you most likely see in a grammar book? Which is the most correct and formal sounding. If more than one are correct, just tell me.




I hope somebody can clear up my confusion.



Greetings :)

No comments:

Post a Comment