Saturday, May 18, 2013

grammar - the usage of "such that"

I looked up the usage of "such that" in the dictionary, it says:



"such that, so that: used to express purpose or result: power such that it was effortless"



if the subordinate clause following "such that" is an adverbial clause, what is the role of "power" in the whole sentence? If "power" is the subject of the sentence, where is the predicate? Is something omitted before "such that"? I feel this setence is odd because there is only a noun before such that. I also find another sentence in the dictionary :



The damage was such that it would cost too much money to repair.



I guess the meaning of "such that" is same here. But why the second sentence has a "predicate"("was") while the first one does not? So can I also alter the second sentence to the form of "The damage such that...."? If I omit the predicate-"was" here , is this sentence still right?




Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment