Saturday, November 24, 2012

word choice - Should I use "his/her" or "its"?





Possible Duplicates:
Gender neutral pronoun
Is it correct to use “their” instead of “his or her”?







I am writing software documentation. I have this issue: I am talking about a generic user of the software.
Should I say “his preferences”, “his/her preferences” or “its preferences”?


Answer



The links Reg supplied are good advice, but be aware that gender-neutral language used at length can start to become clunky and unnatural to the ear. One trick I have seen to avoid that problem is to assign genders to particular use cases. In your case, you might refer to a generic user using male pronouns, while an administrator gets female pronouns. Obviously this only works when you have a reasonably good mix of cases or relative importance.


No comments:

Post a Comment