Thursday, November 1, 2012

punctuation - How do you insert a complete sentence quote into the middle of a sentence before a comma?

First off, I do not believe this question is a duplicate of this one:



What is the correct punctuation when quoting a question in the middle of a larger sentence?



I want to know how to insert a complete quote in the middle of a sentence where the quote must be immediately followed by a comma while also preserving the punctual tone (ie, whether or not it's imperitive, declarative, interrogatory, or exclamatory). Here's an example:





Before you walk into a room full of glum-looking people and ask, "Who died?", you should make sure there's not a casket present.




I think there are some who will argue that there is too much punctuation in my example. I disagree, however. There should always be consistency in any linguistic construct. Arbitrarily eliminating crucial punctuation on the grounds that there's simply too much of it is a bad call.



That said, I chose to keep the question mark and add a comman after "Who died?". If I say "Who died,", the interrogatory tone has to be assumed by the reader which is not guaranteed. Preserving the question mark forces the tone of the sentence which gives the writer more control over how it is received by the reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment