Wednesday, August 1, 2012

verbs - Using two contradicting present participles in the same clause, and or but?




In a sentence I wrote, there are two present-participle verbs, yet they have contradicting meanings. Should "and" be used in between them or "but"?



Example:




"Let me go!" I shout, struggling to be free but availing.




or





"Let me go!" I shout, struggling to be free and availing.




Are both grammatically correct, or should a different coordinator be used?



(I did attempt to research this but all results either gave the definition of "contradict" or explained what the "present participle" is.)


Answer



Good question!




I believe you mean to use the word prevailing instead of availing, as availing is defined as making use of an opportunity or benefit, whereas prevailing means to be victorious over opposing forces; since you are struggling and wresting yourself free in your sentence, I suggest you use prevailing.



In regard to which sentence construction is correct, I recommend you state your act of availing (or prevailing) in a separate sentence, and simply ending the sentence after "free."


No comments:

Post a Comment