Wednesday, August 22, 2012

grammar - How does the phrase "Is something the matter?" make sense?



Is something the matter?




I've read or heard this usage of matter many times. For instance, in The pleasure of finding things out, R.P. Feynman writes:




I could tell that something was the matter.




This usage doesn't seem right to me. It's hard for me to pinpoint what exactly bothers me, but I think it has to do with the use of the definite article "the" when the existence of a problem hasn't even been confirmed/acknowledged yet.




I know this usage of matter is accepted by many, but how does it make logical/grammatical sense?






Instead of:




Is something the matter?





I would much prefer




Is there a problem?




Instead of





I could tell that something was the matter.




I would prefer




I could tell that there was a problem.




Note that my issue is with the choice of article, not with that of the noun.

No comments:

Post a Comment