Wednesday, May 29, 2019

word choice - Present or Past tense to describe a past condition which is still present?



Scenario: My friend John has a personality disorder, intensely paranoid for example.




Can I say:




There were three events last year that told me John had a problem.




or can I say:





There were threee events last year that told me John has a problem.



Answer



I agree with mgkrebbs in the case of storytelling. In conversation, however, if I say:




There were three events last year that told me John had a problem.




I am implying that he had a problem last year but that the problem is no longer present. If I say:





There were three events last year that told me John has a problem.




I am implying that the problem existed last year and continues into the present.



Might I also suggest the following (assuming the problem still exists):





Three events last year told me John has a problem.



No comments:

Post a Comment