Saturday, May 18, 2019

american english - The case of "y'all"



What cases can "y'all" work in?



A prior question asks about the 'proper' usage of "y'all", but it and its answers only address nominative case (all examples are nominative).



I think that there are some cases where "y'all" doesn't work as is.



For example,





  • nominative: "Y'all come back now, ya hear?"


  • accusative: "I'll ring y'all up tomorrow after the fish fry."


  • possessive: "Bring y'all's swimsuits. The pool will be open." (or "y'allses". yes, I find this is questionable usage)


  • vocative: "Hey y'all! Where's the keg?"


  • but instrumental/dative/indirect object?: nothing sounds right.





? I'll bring the BBQ over to y'all.




? This party is all for y'all.




These don't sound right to me. The alternatives that sound right to me would be:




I'll bring the BBQ over to you all.



This party is all for you all.





Can anyone confirm my usage? Has there been a study/paper on this?



I ask because most pronouns in English have forms for different cases, so it is not given that "y'all", though a synonym for "you" which only has a different form in possessive case, would or would not have a different form.


Answer



If we accept that y'all is an acceptable second person plural pronoun, they're all strictly correct (although I assume you meant "I [will] ring y'all up," and I would have to look up the rules regarding compound contractions like "y'all's").



As one raised in the Midwest by a Southern mother, they all "sound" fine to me, and I wouldn't have any problem using any of them if the situation called for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment