Thursday, May 16, 2019

commas - If you're using a quote with a period but do not want to end the sentence, do you keep the period?



For example. If I want to quote a passage from a writing, that says





The cake is not a lie.




and my sentence is:




The book by author states that "The cake is not a lie." however studies show that the cake is a lie.




Is it OK to replace the period with a comma to make the sentence flow?




Relevant: Also what do you do with the capital "T" Are you allowed to lowercase it?




The book by author states "the cake is not a lie," however studies show that the cake is a lie.




I usually just work around this by switching up the structure of the sentence, but sometimes I really want to phrase something a particular way.


Answer



The best source for such questions is The Chicago Manual of Style. (By "best," I mean that it is most supportive of my existing prejudices.)




15th Edition, Section 11.8 permits these changes (and others) to quotations:




  • The intial letter may be changed to a capital or lowercase letter

  • The final period may be omitted or changed to a comma


No comments:

Post a Comment