Saturday, October 20, 2018

grammar - What job don't students like very much?



I need to have my English students read a pie chart containing information about jobs. One of the questions I wrote is:




"What job don't students like very much?"




(They are expected to read the chart and say "doctor," which was voted by two students only).




Now, is that question grammatically correct? I just find it awkward. I know there are more natural options, but that is the wording I need for non-native 6th graders. Thanks in advance! I apologize if you find this question too silly.


Answer



I think it's ok but maybe move the "not" and change "what" to "which"




Which of the jobs do students not like very much?




or perhaps better





Which of the jobs do students like the least?




Eplanation:



Removing the contraction "don't" to "do not" becomes "do not students like" which sounds wrong. It's very yoda speak.



"Which" is preferable to "What". It's not an open-ended question. They are being asked to select from a range of answers so "which" is more appropriate.




"Not like very much" vs "like the least". I think the latter is more accurate for the question. It is asking for THE least whereas the former could answer with a selection.


No comments:

Post a Comment