Thursday, April 20, 2017

Is gender-neutral language the norm for academic writing ? If so, when did this start?

Most texts I read on linguistics and translation studies seem to use gender-neutral language (e.g. 'he or she/his or her', 'they/their'for people of unknown gender). Is this the dominant trend for academic writing in general (or even for the fields I mention)? If so, when did it start?



I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me to some published research on this topic.




Edited to add: My question is different from 'Is there a correct gender-neutral, singular pronoun (“his” versus “her” versus “their”)?' in that it does not seek a prescriptive answer (a recommendation on how to write), but rather a descriptive one (a reference to a survey on how language is actually being used in the fields I mentioned).

No comments:

Post a Comment