Tuesday, April 4, 2017

grammar - Does this sentence use the semicolon correctly?




I'm really confused about the semi colon. From what I read you can use it if you A) need something in-between a punctuation and a comma B) connect two different statements C) both clauses are independent.



I'm having trouble with the sentence below as I don't know what I'm supposed to replace the semicolon with. Do I have to rephrase it? I'm confused because of the 'which' clause, which is dependent on first clause and I need some kind of pause.




The one thing that sets you aside from the other sharks is you: your personality, your experiences and your ambitions; none of which can be replaced by fins and teeth.



Answer



I would recommend using a dash there. Using a comma could be confusing because the clause follows directly after a list, and it may trip up a reader who may think that last element is supposed to be part of the list as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment