Tuesday, February 28, 2017

word choice - "Expectations from" vs "Expectations for"




I have good expectations from traveling.




I have good expectations for traveling.




Which one is correct? From this post, it seems that "expectations for" is correct because we are talking about an "anticipated result in store with the future." However, "expectations from" sounds natural to me too.


Answer



This is all about past and future tense.




I have good expectations from traveling.





From infers that the speaker is drawing from experiences of travelling in the past on which they base their ideas (expectations) of a future journey.




I have good expectations for traveling.




The speaker has ideas for a future journey. There is no allusion of where they construct their expectations from.


No comments:

Post a Comment