Friday, February 24, 2017

grammar - What is this ‘-ing’ structure?



Consider the following sentence:




The Bactrian camel is well adapted to the extreme climate of its
native Mongolia, having thick fur and underwool that keep it warm in
winter and also insulate against summer heat.





My question is about the italicized part. My usage of English is grounded mostly in “what feels right” and not in solid grammar knowledge, so I am struggling with this one. I have been using such structure quite frivolously myself, but I never knew an ‘official’ name for it, nor when it is appropriate. Here is a generic example:




Bob is a great guy, wanting to do great things no matter what the circumstances are.




Is this correct? What is this -ing ‘thing’ called, if it has a name? Could you briefly list when it is or isn’t appropriate to use a verb+ing form, perhaps noting the most common misuses or mistakes?


Answer



It’s called a participial phrase, specifically one using the present not the past participle. If you want more than that, you’ll have to chase down all about VPs (verb phrases) in English.



No comments:

Post a Comment