Thursday, September 1, 2016

grammaticality - They are going to be letting me out next week

I am reading a book "Second hand" by Michael Zadoorian in which a boy visits his ex girlfriend in the hospital as she attempted suicide. There is a sentence which creates some difficulty to me: "They are going to be letting me out next week". I don't understand why the author used the verb to be in "to be letting me out". Is this correct? I thing it should be "they are going to let me out next week."



This is the context of the sentence:




I grab her hand and open the curled fingers. I place it in her palm. Luckily, it is practically nothing. A swizzle stick. Granted, a very old cool swizzle stick, a wooden one advertising "City ice Cubes" with a little character on it with an ice-block head. But it is still a swizzle stick nonetheless. And nothing for her to get all huffy about. Theresa looks at me and smiles, the one she was smiling before she forgot that she wasn't supposed to be smiling at me. "Thanks, J. You know, you really don't have to keep coming here every day. I think they are going to be letting me out next week."


No comments:

Post a Comment