Sunday, July 31, 2016

word choice - Choosing between "100%" and "cent percent"



I am a non-native English speaker. I am applying for the USA university for management studies. While writing the essay I came across the sentence, "I was 100% confident."



My query:




Is it appropriate to write 100% or should I write cent percent? Does it sound professional?


Answer



I would substitute an adjective that means the same thing: totally, completely, absolutely, etc.



As it stands, though, your question makes no sense: "cent percent" is meaningless. Are you asking whether you should spell out "one hundred percent" instead of using numerals? If so, it probably doesn't make a lot of difference. Still, in the context I would use one of the adjectives I suggested here.


No comments:

Post a Comment