Tuesday, July 12, 2016

punctuation - "He then" vs "Then He" vs "Then, He" -- conjunctive adverbs, semicolons, and commas

As far as I understand, you use a semi-colon to separate main clauses joined by conjunctive adverbs (however, therefore, moreover, nevertheless, then, thus). And, when you use a conjunctive adverb, put a semicolon (;) before it and a comma (,) after it.




Example, using however:




Ernest Hemingway was a master of style; however, opinions about his work vary widely.




BUT using then, referring to sequencing, what is the proper usage?



Example:





He went to the store. Then he went home.




The above explanation would say that I need a semicolon between the sentences and a comma after then. And I have found many examples of this.




He went to the store; then, he went home.





But, is it a fast rule when you use then (I've read that "then" may not always be a conjunctive adverb) or can you just use a period? Do you always need the comma after, and can you reverse it?




He went to the store; then, he went home.



He went to the store; then he went home.



He went to the store; he then went home. (no comma after "then")



He went to the store. he then went home. (no semicolon between sentences)





I generally use He then as I feel it sounds better, but I'm confused as to whether that is grammatically correct and how to properly punctuate it. I can't find a definitive examples sentences.

No comments:

Post a Comment