Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Usage of "to both of whom"



I am writing a short formal acknowledgement in a paper, and I would like to thank two people at the same time. The phrase I'm using is essentially:




Coffee was paid for by John and Anna, to both of whom I express my sincere gratitude.





I am not sure if the expression "to both of whom" is correct. Should it be "to whom both"? Maybe a small variation of the phrasing would work, but I can't think of any that is short and formal.


Answer




Coffee was paid for by John and Anna, to both of whom I express my
sincere gratitude.




is the correct of the two sentences you pose.




both OED




With a plural pronoun (denoting the members of a pair).
Immediately following (or in early use preceding) a subject or object
pronoun. Also in both which. Cf. sense C. 3, and both of us, both of
whom
, etc., at sense




To use to whom both in your sentence:





Coffee was paid for by John and Anna, to whom both I and my companion
express sincere gratitude.



No comments:

Post a Comment