Thursday, July 9, 2015

hyphenation - How to hyphenate (divide at the end of a line) the word "configurable"?



Just as the heading says: How do we hyphenate (in the sense of: divide at the end of a line) the word configurable?





  • I was quite surprised that Merriam-Webster doesn't know that word.

  • The Oxford English Dictionary neither shows hyphenation nor syllabication.

  • Microsoft Word 2010 offers con-fig-u-ra-ble, which I believe to be incorrect since I have read somewhere that a- at the end of a line, followed by ble at the begin of the next line would mislead the reader in most cases, and that able therefore usually should be kept together.

  • hunspell (which drives most open-source projects like OpenOffice, LibreOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird and the like) says con+fig+urable, which I believe to be correct, but not complete.



My personal feeling is that it could be con+fig+ur+able, but as a native German speaker who never has been in a country where English is spoken as primary language, I am lost at this point.



Could somebody please help me out?


Answer




Hyphenation for breaking words across lines in English is quite arcane — see this question.



In AmE, it should be




con-fig-ur-able.




We hyphenate configure as con-fig-ure, as dictionaries can tell you. The ur should not be broken up because it's an r-influenced vowel, and American English doesn't usually break them up. And the ending should be hyphenated as in pleasurable (plea-sur-able), whose ending is pronounced the same.




British English hyphenates r-influenced vowels different from American English, and I don't know what the rules are. But I don't think anybody is going to object if you use the AmE hyphenation for this word.


No comments:

Post a Comment