Saturday, July 11, 2015

punctuation - Ellipsis after a complete sentence

I'm wondering how to use an ellipsis after a complete sentence within a quote when not intending to use the entire quote. Specifically, I'm looking at a Bible verse. Consider the following:




"Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective." - James 5:16




I want to quote and reference the first sentence (bolded part) of this verse. I can't simply write





"Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed." - James 5:16




because this indicates the the entirety of verse 16 is this one sentence, when in fact there is more. So I figure I need to use an ellipsis to denote the omitted content, but if I use it like this




"Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed..." - James 5:16





that seems to indicate that the sentence continues on after the part I've chosen, when in fact that is the end of the sentence. So then I think I should do something either like [period-space-ellipsis]




"Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. ..." - James 5:16




or [4-dot ellipsis]




"Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed...." - James 5:16





but those both look weird and wrong to me.



So what is the correct way to do this?

No comments:

Post a Comment