Friday, June 19, 2015

grammar - Should I use either or any in this sentence?



So, I want to ask the students to contact me if they are interested in topics A and B. Which one is better?



Please contact me if you are interested in any of the following topics: ...

or
Please contact me if you are interested in either of the following topics: ...



Or, do you think there is a better way to put that?


Answer



Favour either when there are two alternatives, and only one can be taken.



Either can allow for more than two alternatives and it can allow that both alternatives can be taken, but there's no point using it in these cases unless you've a good reason; being able to argue you were technically correct is not the point of the exercise.



I don't see why you don't just use:





Please contact me if you are interested in [A] or [B].




Seems a simpler approach.


No comments:

Post a Comment