Tuesday, June 2, 2015

expressions - How to express combinations using "any [...] by [...]"

I'm writing a text in which I need to repeat combinations of k out of n - for example, "any 2 out of 6" - but I think something the likes of "any 6 by 2" would be more appropriate since the subject is sports gambling (calculating combinations and odds on a betting ticket) and, as I said, there are several of those on a page.



English is not my native tongue and I'm having trouble finding such information / examples on the web. Maybe the right way would be "any 2 by 6" or this "any [...] by [...]" is not even used to express combinations in English. So, I didn't want to make this question ambiguous, but I would appreciate any pointers / more appropriate alternatives you can give me in addition to your answer.



Note: On the Wikipedia "Combination" page, I saw "n choose k", but I don't think that would go well with my text either.




EDIT: I have received complaints and most people seem not to get what I'm asking so I'll just provide some kind of a sample and what I think it should look like in light of Invoker's comment below:




Any 1 out of 3 = 3 combinations



Any 2 out of 3 = 3 combinations



Any 3 out of 3 = 1 combination





I need to make this text even less formal, I mean express those in a shorter form, yet still common or familiar. I'm looking for the appropriate, most common way of expressing combinations that would be easy to understand, yet not be lengthy.
I think the following would be most suitable:




Any 1/3 = 3 combinations



Any 2/3 = 3 combinations



Any 1/3 = 1 combination





Of course, this is only an example and after each line other calculations including odds may come up. Also, the numbers involved get higher as well.
Thank you for the patience with my inability to express this in a more straightforward manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment