Tuesday, April 14, 2015

grammar - Present Perfect vs Present perfect continuous




Could you correct the comments in parentheses, please? Are they right?





  1. I have lived in Los Angeles. (A completed action; the person does not live there anymore).


  2. I have lived in Los Angeles my whole life. (The person is still living there, or spent her whole life in Los Angeles, but is currently
    living in another location).


  3. I have been living in Los Angeles. (She doesn't live there anymore, but was living there recently, or is still living there).


  4. I have been living in Los Angeles my whole life. (The person is still living there or spent her whole life in Los Angeles, but is

    currently living in another location).





Thanks


Answer





  1. "I have lived in Los Angeles" (Correct or "I lived in Los Angeles" is acceptable, depending on the context if A completed action, if the person does not live there anymore).


  2. "I have lived in Los Angeles my whole life." (Correct if the person is still living there, or spent her whole life in Los Angeles, but is currently living in another location).



  3. "I have been living in Los Angeles." (Incorrect if She doesn't live there anymore, but was living there recently, but Correct if
    she is still living there).


  4. "I have been living in Los Angeles my whole life." (Incorrect if the person is still living there or spent her whole life in Los
    Angeles, but is currently living in another location. "I lived in
    Los Angeles my whole life"
    is the correct phrasing).




No comments:

Post a Comment