Wednesday, April 1, 2015

grammar - Capitalizing Work Titles -- Beyond General Rules

The rule I'm getting is:





Capitalize if it comes before the name: Janitor Richard McGill was a fastidious man. Director Campbell slept in the office as McGill the janitor proofread his annual report.




But I often find that writing certain titles un-capitalized just looks plain odd.



Here are three sentences where I want to capitalize. Could you comment on the grammaticality of the choice to do so?






  1. Just recently I met Mr. Adams (previously Managing Director and Finance Director at ... (Could you also suggest a better SHORT sentence for writing this? Sounds clunky as I type it here. It is meant to convey that Mr. Adams was previously the managing director and before that a finance director at an organization. Also, I didn't feel the need to capitalize these titles as I talked about them in the previous sentence as I did when typing out the original sentence referred.)

  2. My work experience as an Assistant Accountant at ...

  3. Mr. Stephen Colbert, Hiring Manager -- at the start of a letter (this one I know is correct -- my search shows that the work title at the top of a letter is almost always capitalized)


No comments:

Post a Comment