Tuesday, October 14, 2014

grammar - Using "as much as" at start of sentence



Is it correct to use "as much as" at the start of the sentence?
For example:




As much as I like cricket, I like football.





Is it correct?



I didn't find any reference which suggest to use it that way, but only as a conjunction as in this sentence:




I like football as much as I like cricket



Answer



No, it is incorrect.




"As much as" in the beginning of a sentence is used to qualify what you do like/dislike about the statement that comes after, i.e. the first part will be A and the second part will qualify/quantify something in conflict with A




As much as I like cricket, I dislike the waiting between innings



As much as I am afraid of spiders, I love nature




Your second sentence is a correct comparison denoting you like both equally well





I like football as much as I like cricket







UPDATE



The As may be optional, more so in British English




BR



than US



US


No comments:

Post a Comment