Saturday, October 18, 2014

grammar - Should one use 'a' or 'an' when the following word is in parentheses?







This question is a little hard to summarize in the title.



I sometimes like to use parentheses to add additional (but nonessential) details to a sentence - like I did just there. My criteria for such use is usually that the sentence could be read with the text in the parentheses, or excluding the text, and each would be an equally valid and grammatically correct statement.




So I am curious: in a case where the parenthesis is preceded by the word 'a', and the word in parenthesis begins with a vowel (or unsounded h) that would require it to be changed to 'an', what is the correct statement?




  1. In addition to these three journal articles containing background information, I have included a (anecdotal) reference describing this proposed cure.

  2. In addition to these three journal articles containing background information, I have included an (anecdotal) reference describing this proposed cure.



I feel as though if I use the word 'an' it draws too much attention to the word anectodal, and I might as well just remove the parentheses. I'm just trying to slip the word in there to cover my ass if someone says "That's not a valid reference - it's just an anectote." If you are curious about the context: the anecdotal reference is included because it describes the process in greater detail than is captured by my summary.



Feel free to comment on the validity of my use of parentheses while you're at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment