Monday, February 24, 2014

grammatical number - Why do we use the article 'a' when referring to 100 items? But we don't use it when referring to any other plural count?

Edit Note:



This question has been linked to these questions about using an article before adjectives modifying numbers. This question here has nothing to do with adjectives at all:






The question



Why do we use the article 'a' when referring to 100, but not when referring to any other plural counting?



Here's an example:





I saw a hundred birds today.




But when talking about other count that 100, we don't use 'a' because it's plural:





  • I saw ninety-nine birds today.

  • I saw two birds today.

  • I saw two thousand birds.


  • I saw seventy-five birds.




Is there a grammatical or historical explanation?

No comments:

Post a Comment