Monday, July 1, 2013

"It was the kind of story that / where you had to be there." -- Are the relative words 'where' and 'that' interchangeable?

Consider this exchange:




A: Your story wasn't funny at all.
B: Maybe it was the kind of story where you had to be there.




I encountered something like that a few days ago, and wondered if the relative word where could be replaced with that:





?Maybe it was the kind of story that you had to be there.




It sounded strange a bit, but I was reluctant to say it's wrong, because there are analogous examples where a that relative or bare relative could be used instead of a where relative clause:





  • The place I went running was a few blocks away


  • This is not the place I will die.

  • It's pathetic to live in the place you grew up.

  • If you would have told me a year ago that I'd be in the place that I am now, I would have been like, good joke.

  • Why does poetry become the place that you can say it?



examples from COCA




So, when is it possible to use the relative words that and where interchangeably?

No comments:

Post a Comment