Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Separating alternatives using slash/stroke where the only difference is the length




I'm wondering about the usage of slash/stroke as a way of separating alternatives (perhaps it, in this sense, could be called a abbreviation of "or"?). If the alternatives are similar, but the second one is longer, then how would I write this as short as possible, with the smallest possible risk for confusion? Let me give you an example:



I have a card reader where you can insert a Memory Stick or a Memory Stick Pro. If I label the card reader with "MS/Pro", it could most certainly be interpreted as "either MS or Pro". Still, I want the label to be as short as possible.


Answer



There is a slight risk involved using a slash. While "or" is implicitly added while reading a sentence using slash, slash is used often enough in other contexts that it might require a reader to stop and repeat in order to get the proper meaning, which, if your priority is clarity, you should always avoid. However in order to reduce space, I can also see the necessity.



I would recommend only that if you were to use a slash in this instance, I would write "MS/MS Pro", since it isn't "MS" or "Pro" but "MS" or "MS Pro" as your two options. I see your dilemma, though surely you can have a label which holds "MS/MS Pro".


No comments:

Post a Comment