Tuesday, July 30, 2013

punctuation - How to punctuate a quote within a quote?


Duplicate of:
What’s the difference between using single and double quotation marks/inverted commas?
How are embedded quotations used?
And:
When should end punctuation go inside quotes?
Is it correct to use “punctuation outside of the quotations”, or “inside?”







Let me know if this belongs on Writers.se. Furthermore, I have a strong feeling this has already been covered, but I wouldn’t know where, since I don’t know what to name this situation.



Moving on, I will express a dialogue like this:




A:  “What did he say to you?’




B1:  “He leaned close to me, and said in a gravely and drunken voice, “It’s not easy.” ”




Or would it be,




B2:  “He leaned close to me, and said in a gravely and drunken voice, ‘It’s not easy.’ ”




Or,





B3:  “He leaned close to me, and said in a gravely and drunken voice, “It’s not easy”.”




I’ve tried to be helpful (and probably failed), but let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment