Saturday, October 6, 2012

What punctuation mark should be used before the choices when asking a question starting with "which"?

In the following question:




Which is more expensive_ the apple or the orange?




What punctuation should I use in place of the underscore?




I have thought of a few possibilities.




Which is more expensive? The apple or the orange?




When I read it without punctuation, I kinda raise my tone in both "expensive" and "orange", so I guess I should put question marks in both places?





Which is more expensive, the apple or the orange?




The two parts belong to a single question, so there should be a single question mark at the end?




Which is more expensive - the apple or the orange?




I faintly remember that I saw something like this in books. My memory could be wrong though.




Which should be used and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment