Sunday, October 14, 2012

grammaticality - Is "On January 17th our team had represented" correct English?

My team recently posted a status update,





On January 17th, our team had represented [organization name] at [place].




Though I am unable to explain why (I have never formally learned tenses), I am convinced that the 'had represented' part of the sentence is incorrect, or at the very least weird-sounding English (I'm open to being proven wrong). I have tried bringing it up but all it brought about was an endless argument.



Someone claimed that the sentence is formatted in past perfect tense, referencing this page: http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/pastperfect.html



I am sensing a difference between the formatting of the question and the examples of past perfect tense given in the page, but I can't quite point it out convincingly.



Is the status correctly written?




As a side note, does it matter if it's British or American English?

No comments:

Post a Comment