Tuesday, October 16, 2012

grammar - How to use "when" in reported speech?

My friend told me: "I am going to sell my bicycle when I buy a car tomorrow". He bought a car last Monday and sold his bicycle on the same day. Now, how can I convert this to an indirect speech statement:




1- My friend told me that he was going to sell his bicycle when he would buy a car the next day.



2- My friend told me that he was going to sell his bicycle when he bought a car the next day.



3- My friend told me that he was going to sell his bicycle when he buys a car the next day.



My friend has already sold his bicycle and has bought a car. Which one is correct? and if they all are correct which one seems more natural?



Application of the back-shifting rule results in the second option. However it doesn't sound very natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment